BROADSWORD MINIATURES

Sunday 23 May 2021

RE POSTING DELETED VARIAGS OF KHAND

 

A week or so ago Blogger informed me this post from March breached their regulations and deleted it. They then reinstated it, but it seems to have vanished again, so I'm reposting it as much for my own records.

I've been meaning to get on with this project for quite a while, and it's slowly lumbering along the runway trying to take flight.  The recreation of another battle from the early years of White Dwarf, this time Minas Tirith in White Dwarf 53 , again by Joe Dever, using only figures available at the time of publication ( May 1984).



Joe gives figure recommendations in the article, as usual plugging Citadel and Essex Miniatures, presumably the former was his employer at the time, and being an Essex man, I assume he had connections with Essex Miniatures. While Essex are readily available, most Citadel figures of the time (particularly the historicals) are hard to find at a decent price. 
I've started with a pretty basic unit from the evil army. The Variags of Khand. The figure recommendation is suggests Citadel, but I've opted for the readily available and affordable Hinchliffe Varangian guard. Painted in an early 80s style and varnished and based to fit in with figures from Joe's collection which I now own.







12 comments:

  1. They did that to me too a few weeks ago - I lost three of my posts but managed to get them back after a short while. I tried to make sense of their reasons, but my posts didn't match anything they suggested that might have caused the issue. One thing I didn't check was whether there were comments that might have caused the issue - I was wondering whether they had been spammed with some dodgy links and that caused the posts to be pulled?

    I am glad you were able to recover your post though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was wondering what I'd done to cause offence. The post was still in my archive, but not visible on the net, so I just copied it into a new post.

      Delete
  2. Certainly doesn't hurt the eyes to see these fine figures a second time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kind of you. I'm slogging through 60 riders of Rohan at the moment.

      Delete
  3. Ah ! , White Dwarf when it had 'content' ! , nice paint jobs as well .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it really was a great magazine up to about issue 80. I see Lancashire Games are just about to release the Hinchliffe Byzantine range.

      Delete
  4. Glad to see these splendid fellows back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I've just bought an army of Lamming Vikings to use as really old school Dunlendings.

      Delete
    2. Excellent Mike, old school indeed and a great choice to depict these wild fellows!

      Delete
    3. I'm stockpiling figures for a 1970s look LOTR project.... inspired by Sword in the Sprue, so mainly old Minifigs, Lamming, Garrison and Prince August homecasts.

      Delete
    4. Very interesting!
      I have just bought WD 53 and wondered if you can tell me of other early WD issues with good LOTR content? I didn’t read WD then so am unaware. I subscribed from issue one for a few years but stopped. I think I gave bound volume one and two to friends or sold it years ago.

      Delete
    5. Tbh Alan, I'm not sure there are any more with decent LOTR articles. WD38 has a dnd scenario based in Khazad Dum , which is ok, but even at the time I wondered why there were lizardmen in Moria. Other than that it all starts up again in the more recent issues ( still 20 years ago) with film based stuff.

      Delete