BROADSWORD MINIATURES

Friday 28 May 2021

BRIEF INTERLUDE AND WALK IN THE WOODS


In a few weeks I'm attending the first The Woods Games Day, organised by Geoff Solomon-Sims of Oakbound Studio, in the Woods of Nailsworth Gloucestershire.

I needed to cobble together a warband and whereas I normally go for brute strength and minimal tactics in any game, I happened to have a number of suitable figures lying around to make a Leprechaun clan, tricksy fate weaving, owl loving mischief makers.

I'm underway painting these attempting them in a Grubdark style ( like Grimdark but without the grossness). For an old school fan, I actually quite like a lot of the new gloomy Grimdark style of painting and aesthetic, but sometimes the figures are a bit too icky for my tastes. 

I started with some owls, which didn't come out as gloomy as I'd hoped, but I was quite pleased with them nevertheless. 




I was also happy with the bases. Perhaps not that visible here, but nice and textured and minimal colour. The owls are from Otherworld Miniatures btw. I either got them in a sale or swapped some figures with Richard Scott the owner, because I definitely wouldn't have paid £11 each for them which is the full price. Very nice figures though. Some leprechauns themselves coming next.





8 comments:

  1. That's an eerie set of owls! Any rat-men seeing those would require a morale check, surely. The painting and basing look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks JC. Hopefully I might meet some Gnawlochs, which are the rat folk in The Woods game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good. Different sounding warband. Interested to see what figures you are using
    for the Leprechauns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. If you don't know the game The Woods, so look at it. Heavily grounded in Brian Froid/Dark Crystal aesthetic, and a lot of your Fae army would be useable. There are "how to play" videos on YouTube by Oakbound Studio.

      Delete
  4. No they didn't come out very grim dark but they are pretty and I like them a lot. They would be a good fit for an elf or halfling waRband. Or as hench beasts for a wandering wizard. Looking forward to seeing the leprechauns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have done them more monochrome I think, rather than trying to make the m look like Barn Owls. Leprechauns coming soon.

      Delete
  5. Looking good so far. Can't wait to see the leprechauns.

    ReplyDelete