BROADSWORD MINIATURES

Thursday 9 February 2023

First of the Landsknechts

 Landsknechts..... the idea of painting them has always filled me with dread, but I seem to be on a bit of a roll at the moment having found my mojo after months in the wilderness.

I've got a pike block of 54 to complete, along with 10 skirmishers, and I've decided to paint each figure pretty much individually...with non uniformed troops I find it quicker, and less confusing.

The figures are by The Assault Group and are early Landsknechts from the 1490s-early 1500s.

Here are the first 3 .




At the moment, I'm quite enjoying the challenge of getting one a day finished...we'll see how I feel after a few more.

One thing I'm finding is I can only paint for about an hour at a time now without getting a tummy ache, presumably due to my appalling posture when painting.







12 comments:

  1. Mike they look great. Well done with the stripes, I hate painting stripes almost as much as I do painting tartan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never tried tartan,. But I quite like doing stripes or quarters.

      Delete
  2. Samurai and landsknecht my two 'bogey men' of figure painting .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes, Samurai! Inc I've done these I may be more confident... enough to tackle some Dixon samurai.

      Delete
  3. They're going to look so cool ranked up. Get yourself a reclinable chair for painting, it will take the pressure off the abdomen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll discuss what sort....I sit sort of curled up, however much I try and remember to straighten up.

      Delete
  4. Looking good so far. They will look superb en masse in a pike block though. The colours you are using are just gaudy enough to make the individuals pop but will add to the sparkle of the unit when clubbed together. Looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm using the Camisado blog as a reference and further inspiration.

      Delete
  5. Landsknects, I've been putting mine off for ages!. Yours look great, the idea of doing one a day is a good one. You'll soon start to see the pike block come together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully... managed to get 2 done this morning, but they were less stripy.

      Delete
  6. They look great! I have a box full of Landsknects, Ottomans and Poles that I would love to get painted, but I'm still a bit intimidated by by all the stripes and slashed sleeve details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be daunting, but I'm making progress doing one at a time.

      Delete