BROADSWORD MINIATURES

Tuesday 24 December 2019

TOYHAMMER AND MERRY CHRISTMAS

Another sort of " ... hammer" to get me sidetracked, but this has been a fairly swift (for me) , force to get this far. Inspiration comes from the wonderful Sword in the Sprue blog, so much, that I have even copied a lot of the paint schemes shown there. I wanted to do a small army with minimal expense, effort and planning, simple painting and GLOSSY.

 First we have  The Plum Pudding Gnomes, finished in time for Christmas.

Next up some archers, painted in the same colour schemes as Britains Deetail Longbowmen.



The Royal Griffin Martin


2 units of Sky Dwarves (just realised I forgot the second coat of Ironbreaker on the weapons).



Brother Clavicle and Merkin the Magician


That's the army so far, although I have almost finished a unit of mounted knights. All these figures were dirt cheap and the 2 characters were metal chaps I've had for a long time. As I mentioned before I hated the chunky Citadel plastics when they came out, but now I love them. Easy to paint with no deep undercuts, they lend themselves well to block painting. All these were primed white first and were fairly quick to do, although each colour had to have about 3 coats to be completely solid which was rather annoying. I have a few more units planned.

It's been a busy year with toy soldiers taking if not a back seat, at least a passenger seat. Family duties and a new hobby have been filling up a lot of spare time. Hopefully next year I will find more time and energy to post more on this blog.

HAVE A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS ONE AND ALL.









F

9 comments:

  1. Love the glossy paintjob - can you tell us the source of the figures?
    Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello MJT. First 3 pics are Games Workshop from eBay. The Griffon is a plastic D&D prepainted figure which I repainted, the sky dwarves are from Em4 miniatures, Brother Clavicle is a Blue Moon Friar Tuck and Merkin a Grenadier figure. Have a jolly Christmas!

      Delete
  2. Very nice and very old school. I am a sucker for a glossy finish on a miniature. I may have to have a rummage on eBay in the new year for some 90s plastics of my own. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sprinks. You can pick up bargains but a lot are overpriced. I usually buy the crappy painted GW plastics and just spray over the top. Any metal figures I paint with PVA first to try and lose some of the sharply defined details. Hope you and yours have a jolly Christmas.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Tony, likewise. I hope you have a good time and get lots of new figures:)

      Delete
  4. Glossy, shiny goodness. :) I want to play with them on a table that is painted flat green and contains at least one Noddy house. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not everyone's tankard of mead, but I've got to say I'm loving painting them. I think the Airfix/Dapol houses might work, and possibly Playmobil trees.

      Delete