BROADSWORD MINIATURES

Sunday 10 December 2017

HURRAH, PROJECT FINISHED!!!


Well it's been about 8 month since I posted anything..... mainly down to my own ineptitude with a camera and computer, but real life getting in the way (as an aside I want to start a group called Parents against Homework because that's all my missus and me seem to do nowadays. I can't believe the amount our boys bring home...it's ridiculous). 

Moving swiftly on, I have finished my copy of this picture from White Dwarf 35, which I've been wanting to do since I was about 13 years old. I've had to substitute some figures I think (those are Dragontooth elves in the fort, but I have had to use Minifigs), and I believe there are some Asgard orcs in the front line, but I've subbed them with Chronicle  which Joe Dever certainly had in his collection. I am pretty sure all the figures in my version were available in 1983 plus Airfix dinosaurs and castle, Merit Trees
The 1982 original

The 2017 version (perhaps my little tribute to the late Joe Dever)


I spent as long as I could arsing about with angles to try and get the line up the same, it's not exact, but will do.


Below are some rushed shots from different angles





Hey ho. I am continuing painting pre slotta figures and will post some more soon, but I also hope to get my King Crimson armies underway , to use with Kings of War.





20 comments:

  1. Fantastic! The Minifigs pig-face orcs are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MJT.... they are great old figures , still in production. Had a look at your blog and I love it. I have been getting urges to do 1/72 unpainted fantasy games myself, like the old Airfix battles I used to have. I am following your blog, but as I'm not on G+ I might not show up.

      Delete
  2. Great work there! Really enjoyed seeing your photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan, always appreciate the comments, they will now give me a catalyst to post some more stuff soon!

      Delete
  3. What an achievement! I find it very hard to go the distance with projects, but this is proof that it's worth it. Congratulations - it's only a shame that the late lamented Lord Dever isn't around to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gareth..... to be honest if I had applied myself I could have finished this in a couple of months, but I am a ditherer. I would dearly like to have met JD and run my grubby mits over his collection of figures. Let's hope he is still gaming beyond the veil.

      Delete
  4. A most delightful piece of hobby lunacy! I love it! I doubt I could muster the sticktoitiveness to keep on a project like this to the end. A lot of nostalgia here...great job painting those minifigs elves, they look terrific with the pale faces and dark blue armor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lunacy is the word, but finished at last. I hope to make a start on the other old picture Joe Dever had in a very early White Dwarf, featuring a huge castle. Yes, I love those Minifigs elves too...very Rodney Matthews.

      Delete
  5. Excellent work here ! Nothing like bringing or youth back is there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only we could Don. Still, the reason I didn't do it back then is I never had any money, so at least now I can sate my desire for lead figures.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful. I don't remember the picture....need to peruse my old White Dwarf magazines.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those early WD's played a seminal role in my youth, and the rare pics. of fantasy battles were examined microscopically.

      Delete
  7. Thank you, for taking me back to my youth,. A great post.

    Paul/Golgfag1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pleasure Paul..... nice to come across an Older Oldhammerer who recognised the pic! Do you remember the little pic with the Elastolin castle? I'll be working on that one next.

      Delete
  8. Glad to see you are back, was beginning to get a bit worried. The project looks great and is a fantastic tribute of old school goodness. You should be proud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike...no need to worry. To be honest I am having trouble finding time to do much as well as finding it hard to focus on a single project. I'm glad I finished this anyhow...it's been wanting to be done since 1982. Many thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  9. I saw The dark tower last week. The Crimson king makes a guest appearance. By the way those Elves are particularly sinister looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not heard of that... but I tend to live under a large boulder. My Crimson King is from the album "At the Court of the Crimson King"..... prog albums are a good inspiration.

      Delete
    2. I am a later comer to this party, but I just have to say (1) King Crimson and oldhammer go together like chocolate and peanut butter; and (2) this is such a magnificent project, in both concept and execution.

      Delete
    3. Hi Matthew... sorry about the delay. I keep forgetting I've got comment moderation on. Many thanks for your kind words... I'm hoping to be a bit more active on this blog soon.

      Delete